Skip to Content

Celebrating Canada’s LGBTQ2+ Community

Photo by Marten Bjork on Unsplash

LGBTQ+ Organizations & Individuals Report Increase In Hate On Twitter

Twitter under Elon Musk has failed to protect from online violence and abuse, according to a new survey

According to a new survey conducted by GLAAD, Amnesty International and the Human Rights Campaign, LGBTQ+ organizations have recently reported an increase in hate on Twitter.

About 60 per cent of respondents reported that they had experienced an increase in abusive and hateful speech on Twitter since Elon Musk acquired Twitter in October 2022 and took over as CEO. The other 40 per cent reported that they had experienced the same level of abusive and hateful speech as before. None of the survey respondents reported a decrease in abusive and hateful speech.

The survey, which only included accounts with more than 10,000 followers, was intended to capture a “snapshot” of the social media landscape in the months following Musk’s $44 billion takeover. Musk quickly reversed many of Twitter’s content moderation decisions after purchasing the company, including some high-profile cases that set an ominous precedent for the platform’s many LGBTQ+ users.

“Twitter considers itself a ‘common digital town square,’ yet it’s a town square where LGBTQ+ voices are all too often shouted down and silenced by constant hateful speech and harassment,” said Michael Kleinman, senior director of technology and human rights at Amnesty International USA. “It’s disappointing, to say the least, to hear that the problem of hateful and abusive speech on Twitter is only getting worse.”

When respondents tried to report the abuse to Twitter, 88 per cent said that Twitter took no action to mitigate or take down the reported content.

The study also discovered that Twitter’s current anti-hate speech measures are insufficient, as the platform is still used to spread hateful and discriminatory messages towards the LGBTQ+ community.

Amnesty International is calling on Twitter to take stronger measures to combat hate speech on its platform in response to these findings. The organization is urging Twitter to step up its anti-hate speech efforts and take concrete steps to protect marginalized communities, including the LGBTQ+ community, from harmful and abusive speech.

“We urge Twitter to do the right thing and provide a platform free of hate,” said Kelley Robinson, president of the Human Rights Campaign.

Related Articles

15 March 2023 / IN Community Latest Life

IN Community: How The Federal Government Is Strengthening Canada’s LGBTQ2+ Communities

Minister Marci Ien provides an update on Canada’s 2SLGBTQI+ Action Plan and announces project funding for the Alliance for South Asian AIDS Prevention and Egale Canada

14 March 2023 / Latest Life

Understanding The Humanitarian Crisis In Afghanistan

Why Canada needs new refugee programs to help LGBTQI+ people at risk

08 March 2023 / Latest Life

What It Means To Be A Woman Living With HIV

We talk to PASAN about the Positive Women’s Leadership Project (POWER Project) and the organization’s work to empower and improve the lives of those identifying as women in the HIV community


Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *