Skip to Content
Celebrating Canada's 2SLGBTQI+ Communities
Toronto's Crews & Tangos Won't Shut Down In September As It Enters A New Partnership 

Toronto’s Crews & Tangos Won’t Shut Down In September As It Enters A New Partnership 

The iconic drag bar is partnering with The Men’s Room and The Drink to stay open a little longer… 

Beloved Toronto drag institution Crews & Tangos is entering a new partnership to keep its legacy alive. It is joining forces with Men’s Room Toronto and The Drink, in collaboration with property owner Graywood Developments, to keep the business going. The bar was slated to close at the end of September, but the renewed agreement will keep it open into 2026 and beyond. The new partnership will revitalize the space, ensuring it remains a vibrant beacon for the LGBTQ+ community until it officially closes.

“For decades, Crews & Tangos has been more than just a bar—it has been a safe haven, a performance stage, and a gathering place for Toronto’s LGBTQ+ community,” read a statement on Crews & Tangos Instagram. 

“By joining forces, we can give it the love, resources, and energy it deserves until the very end,” added The Drink.

The bar has launched the careers of many Toronto drag queens. In a Toronto Life interview, Canada’s Drag Race season one winner Priyanka said she attended Crews & Tangos every Sunday. “I ended up meeting my mentor, Xtacy Love, who asked if I had ever considered drag,” she revealed. Priyanka would go on to win Miss Crews & Tangos (2018-2019).

Canada’s Queen of the North, Brooke Lynn Hytes, had many firsts at the bar including her first performance at 19. She told Toronto Life earlier this year that the bar was where she saw her first drag show and had her first kiss.

The bar was originally two institutions. In 1994, Crews opened at 510 Church Street as a gay bar. In 1998, Tango opened next door at 508 Church Street as a lesbian bar. Six years later they merged into one.

Why was Crews & Tangos slated to close?

The Crews & Tangos building is owned by Graywood, who is set to transform the site into a condominium, along with the parking lot and former Boutique Bar (506 Church Street) next door. It originally received approval for a 14-storey building, which would have restored the structure housing Crews & Tangos.

However, the developer shared a new proposal with the City of Toronto adding an additional 34 storeys. The proposed 48-storey tower featured over 550 residential units, retail and commercial space, and a community space for queer supportive programming. Graywood stated the new plans were a “response to the housing crisis.” 

In January 2025, the city rejected the proposal calling it “too tall” for the area. It stated the “development and redevelopment should reinforce the core Village area as a low to mid-rise pedestrian-oriented main street.” 

Community members also voiced opinions about the project. Concerns included shadows “on the public realm” including parks such as Paul Kane House Parkette and Barbara Hall Park. There were also worries about increased vehicle traffic and the threat to local nightlife.

With Graywood back at the drawing table, everyone has a little more time to enjoy the legendary drag bar.

Related Articles

November 27, 2025 / Latest Life

The Trump Administration Will No Longer Mark World AIDS Day

South of the border, the State Department has announced it will not be recognizing World AIDS Day, marking the end of years of publicly recognizing the occasion

November 18, 2025 / Latest Life

IDAHOBIT Announces 2026 Theme: “At The Heart Of Democracy”

Observed annually on May 17, the theme for the International Day Against Homophobia, Transphobia and Biphobia will be: “At the heart of democracy”

November 13, 2025 / Latest Life

Watch ‘Still Here,’ A Short Documentary About HIV And Aging

CANFAR’s first-ever documentary short shares the experiences of three Canadians who have lived with HIV for over 35 years

POST A COMMENT

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *